Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A Connected World that's already here.

I had another glimpse into the power of Twitter tonight - as if I needed another one. I've recently started following people outside of the 'educational' realm. @lancearmstrong, @coryjane1080 and @trevormallard are just a few and they can be pretty entertaining. It opens a world that you wouldn't otherwise have any connection with.

So tonight I saw a tweet from @trevormallard about the Labour Party leader, Phil Goff holding #goffchat at 6.30pm. He was keen to answer questions that people tweeted. So, being the risk taker that I am, I offered a question / suggestion that I've been wondering for a while. And you can see the result below (overlook the spelling error 'of', please).


Was it a life changing interchange? No. Would that little interaction have happened at the last election? No, again. But the world is changing! It's changing into one where a guy can ask a simple question to a political leader in a blink of an eye, just after he gets home after a run and before he eats his tea.

Is today's world a clutter of information and a minefield of privacy issues? Yes. But it's a connected world I'm also really enjoying. And one we should be preparing our students for - cause they're already there.

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

It's funny at nethui David Cunliffe mentioned putting up some provocative statements on facebook to see if he'd get responses. Sure enough I had been moved to comment on a facebook update he made so had fallen for the experiment hook, line and sinker. Curious fact, I haven't lived in his electorate since 2002!