Monday, November 8, 2010

Not 'Lord of Flies' in my class!

One of the biggest debates around technology and education is the role that social media and learning could or should interact.  Just bring up the word, 'facebook' around teachers and the heckles go up for so many.

It's a shame that many of us can't see past the dangers and traps of social media.  I know of at least 12 students in my class of 10 and 11 year olds who have Facebook accounts and that list will grow as the years go by.  It's here.  Kids and teenagers are using and it (a lot!) and hiding in the corner with a paper bag over our heads is not, I think, the answer.

Have you read 'Lord of the Flies?' or seen the movie?  It's a story of a group of young castaways fending for themselves and going through a period of anarchy, violence and regret.   It's also a reality that I think we are throwing on our students if we don't go with them to the Social Media island as well.  Don't we have the experience and social skills to point out the dangers and spot the opportunities?

When so many young people are engaged in this world it's incredibly important that adults are aware and engaged too.  You could even say that we have a moral obligation to.  I think we should be investing in understanding and teaching our students how to get the most out of communities like Facebook and Twitter.  Just like any environment there are guidelines that can keep us safe and get the most out of these sites and there are lots of resources out there for us to use - like this from Brainpop.

My next step is to start a twitter page for the class which, I'm hoping, will enhance their reflective skills - but that's another post.  We'll see.

1 comments:

CheesyUK said...

I completely agree. I often discuss facebook and online etiquette with my class in the hopes that some will remember. I think as teachers it IS our moral obligation to discuss it with our students as I am sure some parents do not.
Let me know when you start class twittering - we need some classes to tweet with [I started ours a few years ago]